Displaying 1-8 of 8 result(s).
In 1911, the people of Pharr constructed the first building dedicated to education in Pharr, located on the corner of Cherokee and Athol. On weekdays, the building housed 9 students of various grade levels, and on weekends, the building became a... [READ MORE]
On March 9, 1916, 400 Mexican rebels led by Pancho Villa crossed the United States border, and raided the town of Columbus, New Mexico. As a result of the fight, eighteen Americans were killed (including ten civilians) and six more were wounded. United... [READ MORE]
At the corner of East Park and South Cage in Pharr, is a two story mission revival style structure which was built by the Pharr Townsite Company in 1910. "La botica", as most locals refer to it, went on to become city hall for 35 years. It included a... [READ MORE]
The Louisiana-Rio Grande Canal Company
In the early 1920‘s, the agriculture boom brought by advancements in irrigation was at the foundation of Pharr’s economy. The Louisiana-Rio Grande Canal Company, established by Mr. Pharr and Mr. Kelly,... [READ MORE]
The Junction Cafe building was constructed by the Harold Hendricks Construction Company in 1939. The building was originallly for the city of McAllen. The first operator of Junction Cafe was the Ricks family. After the Ricks family, there was a long... [READ MORE]
Pharr's first church was founded by Mr. Kelly, a Methodist, in 1910, and it was located on the corner of East Cherokee and South Athol. The church was not a Methodist church, but a community church where people of all faiths met and worshipped... [READ MORE]
The Grand Pharr Hotel
In 1910, a wooden forty room hotel was built. The location was the south side of West Park, and the west side of South Cage, on the corner from the old city hall, which later was the Pharr Drugstore. At the time, it was... [READ MORE]
Valley Fruit company was created in 1928 by J.H. Wiliams and his step-son Rey Weir who began their careers in a small garage in Pharr, Texas.
Over the next ten years, Mr. Williams purchased a 14-acre lot at 724 N. Cage Blvd. in Pharr,... [READ MORE]